- was established by local residents on 26 June 2010 at a community consultation in the Hawker Centre on the proposed sale and development of two public car parks.
- held its first public meeting on 14 July 2010 at the Belconnen Soccer Club.
- requested a master plan for the Hawker Centre at a meeting with the Chief Minister Jon Stanhope on 23 November 2010.
- participated in the Project Reference Group for the master plan, conducted during 2011 by the Land Development Agency.
- held a second public meeting on 24 January 2012 to discuss the draft master plan.
- became an incorporated association on 3 March 2013.
- is not affiliated with any political party.
OUR AIMS AS HAWKER FRIENDS
- to be non-political;
- to engage the Hawker community to determine what the majority of the community want from the Hawker Village shopping centre;
- to ensure that the majority of the community prevails for the Hawker Village shopping centre;
- to preserve the things that we value, such as the type and range of shops, restaurants, retail food outlets, pharmacy, newsagency and medical/professional practices;
- to protect the amenity of the church, soccer club, bus route, public toilets, service station, taxi rank and post office;
- to retain the easy access (and safety for pedestrians) that we enjoy to all Hawker Village facilities with plenty of parking adjacent to them;
- to maximise the openness and solar access of the village space consistent with the existing ground level shopping centre;
- to work to ensure that any Hawker developments are assessed within an overall Hawker master plan;
- to monitor proposals to redevelop the Hawker Village shopping centre and its catchment suburbs of Hawker, Page, Scullin and Weetangera.
READ: Our Brochure – September 2010 (277 Kb)
JOIN US: FoHV Application form
Membership is valid for the financial year. Payments received from 1 April carry through to the end of the next financial year. Membership is currently $15 per person per annum.
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Nomination form
Convenor: C. Lyons, Deputy Convenor: V. Hill, Secretary: R. Coghlan, Treasurer: C. Gingell, Members: A. Wing (Public Officer), P. Pemberton, P. Lockwood.
CONTACT US: by email or comment below.