History

Did you know that:

  • The suburbs of Scullin, Page, Weetangera and Hawker are on land located between the Land’s End property to the west (Kilby family) and the former Springvale property to the east (near Redfern Street, Cook – Shumack family).
  • One of the first major land grants in the Belconnen area was 5,000 acres to the explorer Captain Charles Sturt in 1834. This included Pine Ridge and extended from Ginninderra Creek to the Molonglo and Murrumbidgee Rivers, crossing the current ACT-NSW border. The remaining land in what is now known as Parkwood and surrounded by gorges was designated as a village reserve for use by all residents.
  • The area that is now Lake Ginninderra and surrounds had also been designated as a village reserve for the district early on.
  • The first formal land survey of this district was performed in 1832 by Robert Hoddle. A subsequent survey in 1836 led to maps being published in England in 1837.
  • In the early days of European settlement, the part of Belconnen south of Ginninderra Creek was in the Parish of Weetangera.
  • The Old Weetangera Road ran roughly along the path of what is now Belconnen Way, Drake-Brockman Drive and Stockdill Drive down to the Molonglo River, which it crossed via a timber bridge near the Murrumbidgee junction and, thence, connected with the Uriarra Road. This was the major route to the Kiandra Goldfields.
  • A Methodist cemetery was established on the Land’s End property which is now bounded by Drake Brockman Drive and William Hovell Drive. See the article below.
  • Early settlers on the land now covered by our four suburbs were John Langden (1,280 acres), Philip Williams, M. Southwell, S. Southwell, A. Blundell and C.T Palmer (575 acres).
  • Levi Plummer (1820-1876) owned the property, Pinchfield, which was east of the cemetery and where Hawker is now located.
  • Abraham Blundell was the brother of George Blundell who was the last occupant of Blundell’s Cottage on the shore of Lake Burley Griffin.
  • Abraham married Phoebe Laura Shumack and his brother, Jacob, married Lucy Plummer – both street names in Weetangera.
  • Much of the land north of the Old Weetangera Road had been divided into 100 acre blocks. The remaining land immediately north and south of the road was subdivided into smaller lots for the Soldier Settlement Scheme after WW1.
  • A small primary school was sited on the current open space along Belconnen Way, Weetangera between Shumack Street and Springvale Drive.
  • There are many springs on the land south of the Belconnen Way portion of the Old Weetangera Road particularly around The Pinnacle and extending towards Mt Painter.
  • Article by Tim the Yowie Man on the old Weetangera Cemetery: